khagihara
khagihara, Medical doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.
20084961

I have extremely oily skin and it is also acne prone. What

Customer Question

I have extremely oily skin and it is also acne prone. What can I put on my skin to decrease the amount of oil it produces so it can look more matte and less greasy? I use 5% benzoyl peroxide once a day on my face. I use blotting papers but I would like to actually prevent the oil from happening. Is this possible?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.
You should apply a gentle synthetic detergent cleanser (ie, syndet) with their fingers, and rinse with warm (not hot) water twice daily. Synthetic detergent cleansers possess a pH of 5.5 to 7, which is close to normal skin pH, while soap has a pH of 9 to 10. The lower pH of synthetic detergents, such as Cetaphil, minimizes skin irritation and dryness. You should look for products containing benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid as the active ingredient to help dry excess oil. You should not aggressively scrub the skin; gentle massage with the fingertips is sufficient for cleansing. You should use water-based lotions, cosmetics, and hair products rather than oil-based products.