Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist
Experience:  MRCP (Dermatology), Int. Board Certification in Dermatopathology
17493159

My daughter was born with a small section of skin on her

Customer Question

Good evening, my daughter was born with a small section of skin on her belly that was slightly bumpy. The Dr said it was nothing to worry about, he rubbed it with a tongue depressor when she was 2 weeks old and it raised up for a bit, eventually going back down. We noticed last week that it's getting bigger, but not just in ratio with her body growth. It is also covered with a very fine hair. We have an appt. at Childrens Hospital dermatology in 3 weeks, but I'm trying to do some research ahead of time. It is not colored - the area is the same as her skin color. THanks!
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. S. Attili replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I am Dr. Venkat Attili, Dermatologist and Dermatopathologist with over 10 years of experience in this field. I am here to assist you and will answer your questions to your complete satisfaction. Can you please upload a picture at your convenience?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but she's sleeping now. I can in the morning.
Ok. Sure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are 2 photos.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's hard to see, the area is skin colored, just has like lumps under the skin.
Ok. It's not really visible. Maybe a pic in brighter lighting/ daylight would be better?
How many lumps can you feel under the skin and how big each are they? What is the approximate total area of the lumpy bit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try in a fee minutes with a better camera. There are multiple little lumps, been there since she was 2 weeks and her dr said it's nothing then rubbed it with a tongue suppressor and it swelled. Now it's getting bigger and has hair. Give me ten and I'll upload.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here you go
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The best way i can describe is it is similar to how cellulite feels

Thank you. This looks like a birth mark to me. I wouldn't worry at all. No treatment would be required. But do keep your appointment with the children's hospital so that they can examine and confirm the diagnosis in person.

I see nothing to worry about.

Hope that helps. Do keep me posted & get back if you have any further questions or feel that I have missed out anything. I will be here to provide ongoing advice as necessary. Please do not hesitate to ask. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thank you. Is it normal for birthmarks to raise up when rubbed and then to go down after a half hour or hour?
Well I wouldn't say that is common, but yes can happen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thank you. I will let you know what the hospital dermatologist says as well.
Sure, please do that