Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

My question is released to the jock area. I seem to get

Customer Question
Hi; my question is released...
Hi; my question is released to the jock area. I seem to get extremely warm and start sweating at night which leads to constant itching. I have seen many dermatologists regarding this, and all have told me that it is not fungus, not is there an std present, is there something that is being overlooked?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dermatology
I need to add that this started in my mid 30's, about the only medication that has helped is topical benedryl. I have been given steroid creams, and the last dermatologist that I saw gave me an rx for eledyle (SP) which is 600$ a month, not even sure that it helped the situation.
4/2/2016
Dermatologist: khagihara, Medical doctor replied 2 years ago
khagihara
khagihara, Medical doctor

Can you attach the photos here? Did you have a skin biopsy? How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Does anything make it better or worse? Any other symptoms? Any medical problems? Any surgeries? Any other medications including over-the-counter pills and herbs? Do you have allergies? Similar problem in your family? Any family medical history?

Hi Dr.
I am 5'6" tall; weight 175 lbs
I have been tested for all std's including HIV and all are negative.
There was never a skin biopsy performed, just a scraping by my last dermatologist.
the only medical condition I have is ADD, which I take 40 mg adderal for on a daily basis for the last 25 years. My scalp used to itch the same way, but I found without hair, I rarely itch. I regrew my scalp hair this past year, and found it was constantly itching. My underarms suffer the same plight.
I have not had any surgeries, I have no known allergies, I am not circumcised, I do find when I get stressed, I do itch more.
I use only detergents and soaps that are free from perfumes and dyes. I have no pets, and last year had a electronic air cleaner installed in my home, which is rarely dusty. In short I have done every thing I could aside of living in a bubble.
I was treated for cystic acne in my early 20's with accutane, I have noticed my skin does get extremely dry, but use a moisturizer that is hypoallergenic. I do notice that when I must urinate, and can not attend to that situation expediently, I do start to feel the onset of itching, and once I do go to the restroom, about one half hour afterward, it subsides.

The areas have a lof to sweat glands. Adderall causes sweat as one of the side effects. Sweat with its salts can dry out the skin or trigger autoallergic reactions which can cause itching. Try over-the-counter antiperspirants. If it doesn't work, you should see your doctor to get prescription antiperspirants, such as 20% aluminum chloride hexahydrate in ethanol or 6.25% aluminum chloride hexahydrate. Take over-the-counter oral antihistamine such as Zyrtec, Allegra for the itch.

Thank you; My GP as well as the dermatologists have had my history, I always advise of adderall, this makes too much sense. You see it sometimes takes an outside professional looking in to see what may have been missed.

Does it mean that my answer is similar to your doctors' one?