How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Rick, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 11414
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Type Your Dermatology Question Here...
Dr. Rick, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What the is going on with my face!? I have this itchy and

Customer Question

What the hell is going on with my face!? I have this itchy and unpredictable redness on my face that doesnt look like rosacea . I recently moved to LA and i know i am allergic to the environment. How can i stop this facial reaction?? I am desperate for help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

How long has this been going on for?

Do you have issues anywhere else on your body?

Any other symptoms?

can you upload a picture?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here r photos
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Other symptoms: burning/itching skin on entire body including palms (intermitent)Not taking medication but i am suspicious of the coffee filters ive been using. They r bleached (used a kueregbefore this ).Also i just moved to california, where ive been tested to be allergic to the pollen here (could this be a link)Historically ive been diagnosed with roseacea (this seems different than that) and exzema and also uticaria on my back arms n stumach.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its been going on for a month. I got a kenalog shot as a premptive measure but it definitely hasnt worked. It has lead me to belief it could even be to blame. Would u agree?
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the pictures and the additional information.

I agree: That does not look like roseacea to me either.....

From what you have posted, the most likely cause is systemic allergic reaction with some areas of contact dermatitis.

If it is the pollen in the area then your best bet is to either move or see an allergist for a complete workup and desensitization treatment.

While the steroids can help they, as you know, can have significant side effects with extended use.....

Given your history of roseacea, eczema, uticaria etc it seems that you have a very aggressive allergic type immune system. As you know this sort of thing is difficult to control....My daughters are like this and end up suffering every spring.

Another thought would be to move to an area where the winters are long or it is very dry, such as Death Valley in Southern California.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

I wish you the very best and hope you feel better soon.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately i must live in LA because im in grad school for film here. Back in nyc i dont have this flushing problem. I really need your help doc because I am in front of a camera all day and with people and as u can imagine this is a sensitive issue to face. So u think i should see my allergist asap? He already skin tested me and we've discussed immunotherapy...
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like your allergist and I are coming to very similar conclusions.

Going back to your allergist or, possibly, getting a second opinion from a Professor of Dermatology or Allergy at a nearby University Teaching hospital is an excellent idea.

Unfortunately you may need to use professional makeup during your on-camera stints until you can get this under control.

This is not something you are going to be able to fix using over the counter agents.....

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

I wish you the very best in your studies and look forward to seeing your name on the Silver Screen :)