Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Last week, I woke up one morning with brown/orangish stains…

Customer Question
Last week, I woke up...
Last week, I woke up one morning with brown/orangish stains on my fingers and in the crevices of my finger nails. I tried washing it away but it didn't go away immediately. Again this morning, I woke up to find this brownish/orangish stain on my wrist. Both times this has occured on my right hands/wrist and only appears upon waking up in the morning.I've done several Google searches and read about what it could be, but hoping to get an opinion from a licensed dermatologist. Have you seen this in patients before? If so, what do you think it is. Anything to be concerned about? Let me know if you have follow up questions for me.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dermatology
3/14/2016
Dermatologist: DocPhilMD, Doctor replied 2 years ago
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor

do you have a pic?

Here you go
I washed most of it off this morning, but you can still see it's slightly there.
brown-like color in the shape of a boomerang

have you been outside with lime wedges at all?

drinking beer or anything using citrus?

no lime wedges or using anything citrus to my knowledge. I used a citrus cleaner on Saturday to clean my kitchen counter but showered after and the color showed up this morning, not during the time I used the citrus. I did have two beers with lunch yesterday. However, the stains were on my hands last week and I don't recall having any beer during the week.

could it be the cleaner? or paint? or some exposure?

I don't think so. When I go to bed, it's not there. I've only found it on my skin in the morning when I wake up.

could it be pressure from how you are sleeping on your arm?

Doesn't seem that would be the case - since the color is orange/brown. If it were red, maybe. Also because the color was on my fingers/ finger nail beds - I don't think it's related to my sleeping.

Is something staining it at night?

I washed my sheets recently so no. Nothing that would be staining, especially causing on random spots. Are you a dermatologist?
If you are a dermatologist, have you heard of this from other patients?

I'm an internist.

I deal with skin issues daily though.

I will opt out for another expert. maybe someone else has seen it

thank you
Dermatologist: khagihara, Medical doctor replied 2 years ago
khagihara
khagihara, Medical doctor

Can you attach the photos of your fingers and nails? How tall are you? How much do you weight? Any weight change? Pain or itch? When you press it, does it become normal color? Does anything make it better or worse? Is it consistent? Is it getting worse? Any other symptoms besides the skin lesions? Any medical problems? Any surgeries? Any medications including over-the-counter pills and herbs?

It's not on my fingers anymore. If I wake again with them I'll take a pic.
I also learned my fiancé had similar marks on his hands. It doesn't get worse like a sore. It's a discoloration on my skin doesn't hurt. No other symptoms. No medical problems. No meds other than birth control which I've taken every day since 2011.

That means you guys touched same things in your house. Check it with him. You may find the cause.