How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 45922
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
Type Your Dermatology Question Here...
Dr. David is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I know if I have genital herpes

Customer Question

How do I know if I have genital herpes
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

genital herpes causes painful ulcers in the genital area, similar to cold sores and fever blisters which are very common in the mouth and lip area caused by herpes type 1 virus.

you can see your doctor to get a swab of the ulcer to look for herpes virus which can prove if the ulcer is caused by herpes.

you can also get blood testing to check for antibodies to herpes type 1 and herpes type 2 virus in your blood stream as another way to test for the herpes virus is in your body or not.

have you had painful ulcers like cold sores in your genital area?

are you male or female?