Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I was bitten on the by my cat an hour ago and now the bite…

Customer Question
I was bitten on the...
I was bitten on the by my cat an hour ago and now the bite area is getting more and more red and pain is slowly increasing
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dermatology
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/8/2016
Dermatologist: Dr Josh, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Hello

Welcome to Justanswer website.

Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern

Do you have swelling there at site of bite?

Any bleeding?

Starting to swell and yes bleeding

Dear customer

Thank you for the quick reply.

Please wait for the answer.It may take upto 10 minutes.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear customer

Thank you for the quick reply.

You need to go to ER.

This seems to be more then a minor wound caused by cat bite.

Cat's bite usually pose a higher risk of infection because they can cause deep punctures and lacerations.

Clean the wound.Cleaning will reduce the chance of infection.Wash the wound thoroughly with soap and water.

As you are having bleeding,let it bleed freely, unless the bleeding is very heavy.

As there is swelling,pain & bleeding,these are symptoms of infection.You may need antibiotics & anti inflammatory medications prescribed by your doctor.

To reduce swelling, apply an ice pack wrapped in a towel or a cold compress (cloth soaked in cold water) to the site for 5-10 minutes.

So my advise for you is that you need to go to ER for examination & then antibiotics & other medications will be prescribed accordingly.Sterile dressing will be done there.

Hope this helped

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards
Dr.Josh

I think I made a mistake putting hydrogen peroxide on it. The bleeding stopped suddenly after that and the swelling and pain has gradually increased since then

Dear customer

Thank you for replying back.

As you have put on the hydrogen peroxide on it,this might have stopped the bleeding but can prevent infection.

Any way,as you are having the swelling and pain now,this can be the symptoms of infection. for which you may need antibiotics to cure it.

So you need to contact your doctor at ER.Apply a clean or a sterile bandage to the wound.

Antibiotics are usually prescribed because there is a high rate of infection from cat bites.

Thank you.

Kind Regards
Dr.Josh