Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have had a bump on my upper lip for a very time. It is…

Customer Question
Hello. I have had a...
Hello. I have had a bump on my upper lip for a very long time. It is right above the lip along the edge. I cannot remember how I got it or when. It is soft and flesh colored, not painful at all. I have had no issues with it at all and I have never had it looked at. When I shave I do need to be careful not to cut it because it takes a long time to stop bleeding. Yesterday I noticed that it was a little sensitive to touch and seemed a bit swollen. The skin around it looks like it may be a little irritated. I do get cold soars every know and then in the corner if my mouth. I take Abreva at the first sign of those and they usually go away pretty quickly. I don't think that is related to the "bump". I went to a dermatologist today to see what his opinion might be. He said the bump is a mole. He took measurements of the mole and wants me to come back in two weeks to follow up. He also said that there is very small bump just above the mole. He did prescribe 10 days of an antibiotic, Cefdinir. I did not ask but I am thinking the small bump he found may be a in grown hair or something? Maybe thats irritating the mole? What is he hoping the antibiotic will do? Not sure if this is a melanoma or not. It does not appear to have any of the warning signs Ive seen online. Either way I will most likely get it removed when I can. Any opinions?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dermatology
3/8/2016
Dermatologist: Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist

Hello
Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.
My name is***** and being a Skin, Hair and Nail specialist I would be able to
provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.
Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .
Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:
Could you send me a photo of the condition at your convenience?
You can upload the photo on www.photobucket.com and send me the link
Other method of uploading photo or a file is:
1.Click the paperclip icon
2.Click the Browse icon
3.Click the Browse button
4.Select your file and click Open
5.Click OK
6.Click Insert
7.Click Save Changes on this page
Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not
substitute a Doctor ­ Patient Consultation in Clinic

Two pictures attached.
Did you get the pics? Not the best pictures.

Thank you very much for the photos sent.

Yes , it does look like an inflammed or irritated mole. There are no signs of melanoma in this condition . There is nothing sinister observed from the photo.

The antibiotic will help reduce the inflammation and the sensitivity.

Once the inflammation subsides you should consider removing the area to avoid reinfection.

It looks more like a mole or a sebacous cyst in the area.

Do let me know if you have any further queries.

Hello

Do you still have you concern ?

I am awaiting a reply from your end. Regards

Regards

Dr Pravin

The antibiotics are helping. The swelling and irritation are gone. I'll have mole removed soon.Thanks

Thank you for your message.

I have released the rating service application on your page.

Please do leave me a feedback for my opinion provided.

Regards

Dr Pravin