Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

My landlord who i am in frequent contact with has had a bout…

Customer Question
My landlord who i am...
My landlord who i am in frequent contact with has had a long bout of what appears to be scabies. It was and still is quite bad for him, he says he can't sleep at night, and has to keep moving during the day otherwise he itches. At one point he got a secondary infection and his knees were inflammed. He went to the hospital and they gave him steroids, hydrocortisones, and anti-histamines (for sleeping). Now it's starting to get better.
While this has been going on for over a month, I didn't have any symptoms and neither does his wife, even now. But, last week I started noticing itchy spots around my body, I tried not to scratch them, and it wasnt a mosquito bite. One of these spots was next to my inner thigh and over the past week it has spread to my scrotum and the shaft of my penis. For the past few nights its very hard to get sleep as I wake up in the middle of the night itching and I am trying remedies to help it like washing, tea-tree oil, calendula cream. I manage to get back to sleep sometimes, but I find one part of my scrotum gets really itchy and it's a bit sticky as well but not bleeding or red. I just put on the permethrin lotion today. It's a bit strange that its localized just to my scrotum area and inner thighs, and I dont have it anywhere else, despite some initial ithcing and bumps on my elbow and ankle area, they are gone now.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dermatology
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Also, the area where its itchy now is just near the pubic hairs
I forgot to say that I wore his board shorts (basically his underwear) about 3 weeks ago when he had his itchiness to use for a surfing session. I probably got it that way.
3/7/2016
Dermatologist: Anthony Bray MD, Physician replied 2 years ago
Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD, Physician

Hello !.

If a case of scabies then the permethrin would be correct treatment ...

You Will probably need other measures to help itching as the permethrin kills the mite that causes scabies but it takes time for the skin irritation and itching to settle down...

You may benefit to try antihistamines ( a combination of oral /// Zyrtec -- Benadryl -- Allegra + topical benadryl )

A steroid cream may help settle inflanmaton

Apply cold washcloth rather than scratching ..

If question or ongoing problem then see dermatologist ...

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

PS I will be happy to send offer for phone conversation as well if that would be helpful for you

I put the permethrin cream on today, I did some sports and there was alot of chaffing in the crotch area during my activities. I noticed afterwards that my penis skin has inflammed significantly, not to make a joke of it, but it kind of looks like the michelin man, i've never seen anything like it. Should I be concerned?

Hello again,

If scabies then you need the permethrin cream... (apply neck down entire body >> leave on for 8 to 12 hours then wash off) If problem is persisting a second application indicated in one week.

If possible I would advise to REST a few days .. I don't think that you need multiple factors to inflame the skin in this sensitive region...

Secondary infections are common due to scratching.. sometimes these may need antibiotic treatment.

Take oral anti-histamines for itching ( Benedryl, Zyrtec, Atarax as options)

Wash sheets in hot water to rid this as possible source of re-contamination...

Yes if skin is doing poorly then have a dermatologist review your condition ...

I hope that this is helpful for you.

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD