Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Can you help me with a skin condition?

Customer Question
Can you help me with...
Can you help me with a skin condition ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dermatology
3/6/2016
Dermatologist: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer.

How can we be of assistance?

What condition is this?

Is this causing any symptoms?

How long has this been present?

Since a week. No symptoms . It's on the scalp as well

If this has been present for a short duration, this is most likely a folliculitis, particularly since it is extending into the scalp. Folliculitis is inflammation and infection of the follicles in the skin and can be related to either bacterial or fungal infections, but with the appearance, I would suspect a fungal infection.

It would be reasonable to try an over the counter ketoconazole shampoo and while shampooing the hair, to also apply it to the skin of the forehead.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Which shampoo do you recommend

Any ketoconazole shampoo would be fine. A common brand name is ***** ***** any would be fine.

this is above neck

This is also consistent with a folliculitis and the ketoconazole would be appropriate.

Is this common? Why does this happen ?

It is fairly common. It happens because a fungus or bacteria on the skin overgrows. The skin is never sterile and there are always a certain amount of fungi and bacterial present on the skin, but one of the germs grows excessively, it can get into and grow in the follicles.

Please let me know if I can provide any additional information.