Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a friend in England who wants to come and stay in the…

Customer Question
I have a friend in...
I have a friend in England who wants to come and stay in the US for a month with me- she has bedbugs in her home, very badly. What is the best way to disinfect her and her clothes and luggage before she comes here? Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dermatology
3/5/2016
Dermatologist: Dr Josh, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Hello

Welcome to Justanswer website.

Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern

Is she having the itching now?

Has she taken any treatment so far?

she has bug bites as of today. I don;t believe she's had any treatments. She has had her apartment fumigated today.

Dear customer

Thank you for the quick reply.

Scabies is a transmissible ectoparasite skin infectionTransmission of the scabies mites involves close person-to-person contact of the skin-to-skin variety.

Scabies and its itching can be cured by applying a cream containing 5% permethrin, which is left on the skin overnight and then washed off.In most cases single treatment is sufficient enough,occasionally a second treatment a week later may be required.Sometimes oral prescription medication like ivermectin may be required.

She should wash linens and bedclothes in hot water.Scabies mites can live for 48 to 72 hours after falling off from the body, so she need to take certain precautions to prevent re-infestation. Make sure she should wash all the clothing,bedding,towels,pillow in hot water that reaches 122°F.These items should then be dried in the dryer on very high heat for at least 10 to 30 minutes.

Non-washable items like luggage & other things should be sealed in a plastic bag and stored for one week.Its good that she had her apartment fumigated.

So bot***** *****ne is that she need to take and apply the medications described above & wash all the clothes,bed sheets she used recently.

Hope this helped

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

She has bed bugs- I don't know if that's the same as scabies?
Dermatologist: DocPhilMD, Doctor replied 2 years ago
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor

No that is not the same

Bed bugs are different

Thanks for this question.

Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it. :)

If you have more questions, just reply.