Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

Not to be dramatic, but I seem to have the most hardest

Customer Question
Hello, My name is Ariane. Not to...
My name is Ariane.
Not to be dramatic, but I seem to have the most hardest hands ever. I have a overall a fair dry skin for a black person, however my hands are extremely dry and extremely hard. I have never met someone with same problem as me. I am 22 years old. I can't shake people's hands because when I do the reaction is always there: they are very surprised to fell how hard my hands are. I think it started being like that since I was about 13.
I have tried probably every solution the internet has, including creams, deep conditioning, overnight wrapping, but nothing seem to work.
Do you have any disanosis for me and solution?
thank you,
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dermatology
3/3/2016
Dermatologist: Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist replied 1 year ago
Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist

Hello
Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.
My name is***** and being a Skin, Hair and Nail specialist I would be able to
provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.
Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .
Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:
Could you send me a photo of the condition at your convenience?
You can upload the photo on www.photobucket.com and send me the link
Other method of uploading photo or a file is:
1.Click the paperclip icon
2.Click the Browse icon
3.Click the Browse button
4.Select your file and click Open
5.Click OK
6.Click Insert
7.Click Save Changes on this page
Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not
substitute a Doctor ­ Patient Consultation in Clinic

Please do let me know if you have any further query.

I am awaiting a response from your end.

I would happy to help you.

Regards

Dr Pravin

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello here is a picture, however, I am not sure you will understand the situation with a picture because my hands look normal but they FEEL like rock especially around the middle of the fingers.
Thank you

Thank you very much for the photo sent .

You have something called Keratoderma.
Do you sweat more from the palms?

Do you have similar thickness over the soles ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Humm I don't sweat from the palm at all....
I think I experience the same hardness on the part of the sole opposite to the toes....
Here is an image below

Thank you very much for the image sent.

This condition is plantar and palmar keratoderm. This can be treated with the application of high concentration Urea based cream on the area.,

The other option is for your take Acitretin capsule which is available by prescription to soften the skin on the palms and soles . However , when you are on these medications you would need to be monitored for the liver , kidney and blood profile.

The other option if you want to avoid the capsules is to apply high concentration Urea based creams.

You can also take Vitamin E and A capsules daily to help with softer skin.

Do let me know if you have any further queries.

do you have any further queries ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Alright, I will try the creams... Anyone in specific you recommend? I would also like to know the best waynto "erase" injury scars ... Lazer treatments? Etc...
Thanks a lot

best laser treatment for scars is erbium glass non ablative laser which works slowly in improving the appearance of scars . does not eradicate scars. Scars cannot be erased however their appearance can definitely be improved.

I would suggest Urea based creams ( Eucerin , Neutrogena )

Do you want me to release the rating service application on your page ? So you can provide me feedback for my opinion provided ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Aright, thank you very much

I have released the rating service application .

do provide me a feedback for my opinion provided.

Regards

Dr Pravin

Can you see the rating service application on your page ?
if you cannot see it do let me know. Thanks

Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist