Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

About eight months ago I came in contact with careless

Customer Question
About eight months ago...

About eight months ago I came in contact with careless weeds/red root pigweed. A few days later, I had 10-15 areas (sores) containing foreign bodies. Most of these were tiny, shiny seed-like objects; however, there were also many tiny thorns, and even plant debri. Both of my legs were affected, primarily from the knees down. Around the same time, my right outer ear exhibited similar symptoms. In addition to my PHP, I have seen two dermatologist, an ENT, and was treated at a wound care center for several weeks. The sores will heal but then new ones pop up days, weeks, months later. They itch severely when the foreign bodies are working to the skin surface and they are extremely painful. I also have symptoms including weakness/fatigue and significant depression. None of the doctors I've seen have any idea what this is and really seem to believe that this is a delusion on my part and that my picking is the primary problem. This is not Morgellans, as one dermatologist almost immediately suggested. My quality of life has deteriorated significantly and the depression is worsening, I am a registered nurse but not working. I am not able. Please help!

Doctor's Assistant: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?

I felt the initial contact with the plants so I know when this happened (almost eight months ago).

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dermatology
2/27/2016
Dermatologist: DrRussMd, Internist/homeopath replied 2 years ago
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Internist/homeopath

Hello

It is simple at this point.

You need a biopsy of the lesion sent to the lab.

This will identify

rare condition

autoimmune disease

infection

and so on.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.