Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Is URTICARIA contagious?

Customer Question
Is URTICARIA contagious?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dermatology
2/27/2016
Dermatologist: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer.

Uritcaria is not contagious, although the underlying cause of urticaria can be contagious. There are many different underlying causes of urticaria, as well as many people with urticaria in whom an underlying cause cannot be identified. It is possible that urticaria can be associated with certain infectious diseases, and these infectious diseases would be contagious.

It is also worth noting that the most common identified causes of urticaria is allergies and certain inflammatory conditions, and these underlying causes can run in families. So, it is possible that multiple family members may have a similar pattern of urticaria, such as from multiple family members being allergic to similar substances and developing urticaria at about the same time. But this is different than the urticaria being contagious.

So, the urticaria, itself, is not contagious, but the underlying cause can be contagious.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Would HERPES Type 1 cause URTICARIA?

Herpes simplex of either type is not a common underlying cause of urticaria. However, there have been some isolated case reports of individuals with urticaria that occur around the time of herpes simplex outbreaks, either oral herpes from type 1 or genital herpes from type 2. In these cases, antiviral medicines to suppress the herpes simplex virus also seems to help the urticaria.

So, in general herpes simplex type 1 is not a common underlying cause of urticaria, but it certainly is possible. If you have noticed an association of your symptoms with the time of herpes outbreaks, it would be reasonable to suspect that this may be the underlying cause in your case.