Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

What is the best treatment for hives? I have been getting…

Customer Question
What is the best treatment...
What is the best treatment for hives? I have been getting them every day for over a month. Benadryl helps but they come back. Should I keep taking every day? I also am havin a eczema break out which I haven't had in years. I am72 pretty healthy. Could it be related to laundry soap.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dermatology
2/24/2016
Dermatologist: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hi and thanks for the query.
The best treatment will be prevention, that is to identify the allergen / irritant and avoid it. Till that is done, you can use a second generation antihistamine like Cetrizine or Loratidine instead of the benadryl which is a first generation antihistamine and can cause sedation and some habituation as well.

A visit to the Allergist/Immunologist can help in identification of the allergen as well to design a desensitzation regimen which can eliminate the response to the irritant.

Hope this helps.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Best wishes.