Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

My 30-year-old son has had a round open lesion on his calf…

Customer Question
My 30-year-old son has had...
My 30-year-old son has had a round open lesion on his calf for several months, it is about 5 cm round. It itches at times. He is East Indian and we do not know his genic family history, he has lived in the states all his life. He has not seen a dermatologist, but several doctors have given him different diagnosis'. The last one was ring worm, which seemed to fit, but the wound did not respond to an antifungal. His lastest diagnosis says it has been cause by genic high cholesterol, he does have a cholesterol level of >300 and it was high when he was a child. He is now been put on medication for his high levels. Can high cholesterol cause open lesions on the skin? I think he should ask for a referral to a dermatologist. Thank you for any input you can give us.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dermatology
2/22/2016
Dermatologist: dr abid, Doctor (other than dermatologist) replied 2 years ago
dr abid
dr abid, Doctor (other than dermatologist)

Hi there ...

Thank you for your question ...

Ring worm infection don't cause open wound infection , similarly cholesterol can cause blood flow issues but not open lesion .

It would be ideal for him that he should get biospy of lesion for exact and sure diagnosis .

So DERMATOLOGIST is the right choice to visit , and once you get time , ask him/her for biopsy .

Meanwhile that open lesion should be properly cleaned daily to avoid any unwanted effects .

He should check his blood glucose level also .

Regards ***** ***** him good health .

Please rate my answer as good service .

Thanks .