Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

My nine year old had a mole shave biopsy. Nurse said results…

Customer Question
Hi, my nine year old...
Hi, my nine year old had a mole shave biopsy. Nurse said results were mild to moderate atypical, not clear margins. I am currently awaiting copies of the pathology report. The pediatric dermatologist wants to do another shave biopsy to get clear margins and if that doesn't work she will refer us to a plastic surgeon and stitches would be needed. When I mentioned the possible need for a plastic surgeon a friend mentioned to me this could be a spitz nevus which can be difficult to tell from malignancy. I assume the nurse would have told me if pathology stated spitz nevus possible maligant so I am trying to stay calm until I get the report.
Is a complete re excision better than a shave biopsy?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dermatology
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/22/2016
Dermatologist: Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist

Hello

Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** and being a Skin, Hair and Nail specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.

Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .

A complete excision is always better than a shave biopsy in a lesion suspected to be malignant.

I would suggest that if the results have come atypical then it would be better to excise the mole to avoid the stress of it troubling her later in life.

Please do get back to me in case of any further queries.

Is there a history of skin cancers in the family ?

Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

dermdoc19
dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist