Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a problem with my eyelids. For the past couple of…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a problem with...
I have a problem with my eyelids. For the past couple of years (on and off) my left eyelid has been itchy and red (though not scaly) in the crease, not near the lashes. That eyelid now seems ok but the problem has switched to the right eyelid - exactly the same, itchy in the crease. It also feels slightly moist rather than dry. The only thing that seems to help calm the itch is a little apple cider vinegar, which stings a little when the skin is irritated but at least stops the itching. I've heard that acv is good for fungal infections so could that be the problem with my eyelids? Would be great to get your advice!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dermatology
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/19/2016
Dermatologist: khagihara, Medical doctor replied 2 years ago
khagihara
khagihara, Medical doctor

Can you attach the photos here? How old are you? How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Is it getting worse? Any other symptoms? Are you aware of anything which might have triggered it? Any medical problems? Any surgeries? Any other medications including over-the-counter pills and herbs? Any family medical history?

Hi, photos attached. The first one is of my left eye, which used to have the problem and is still occasionally mildly itchy but basically ok. The other one, of my right eye, has a small red, irritated patch - this is from itching it yesterday. This is the worst it gets - usually it is just red in the middle of the eyelid, on the crease. I'm 170cm, weigh 60kg and am 40 years old. I had eczema over much of my body as a baby, but in my adult years only on my hands - this is related to diet and when I follow a strict gluten- free diet and avoid dairy (as I am now) it is not really a problem. The right eyelid issue has been going on for a month or two - I wouldn't say it's getting worse as some days it's ok, not really noticeable, others it's really uncomfortable. Previously, with my other eye, it was only really a problem in summer, but that isn't the case with this eyelid. No surgeries but the problem started at some point after the birth of my son (now 3). I take various vitamins (multivitamin, coenzyme q10, vit D) but haven't put anything on the eyelid itself except the apple cider vinegar and a very small amount of hydrocortisone 0.5 percent - haven't really used it regularly enough to see if it makes a difference as I'm not sure about using a steroid daily on that area. Only other thing medication-wise is that I had a course of ivf in November for which I took medication (gonadotrophin, cetratide). Family medical history: father died of leukaemia, mother had malignant melanoma in her 60s. Let me know if there's anything else you need to know. Thanks!

Do you put cosmetic on the eye lids? Do you rub or scratch them with the fingernails? Do you use nail polish on the nails?

No cosmetics on the eyelids. I only scratch them when they are itchy (so I don't think the nails are causing the itching - the itching can start when I haven't been touching my eyes at all). I don't wear nail polish.

If the eyelid is not flaky, fungal infection is less likely. It could be due to some allergen. You should see your doctor to have the sample from the eyelid checked with microscope to see if there is fungus or not. If not, your doctor will refer a dermatologist to have a patch test for the allergen.

Can I use a small amount of Clotrimazole cream on the crease of the eyelid to see if that has any effect?

You should try it twice a day for 2 weeks.