Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a small single sore on the upper part of my penile…

Customer Question
I have a small...

I have a small single sore on the upper part of my penile shaft

Doctor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I first noticed it maybe three or four days ago. It won't go away. It looks like a crater and it doesn't hurt to the touch. I haven't had any painful urination. This morning after heavy drinking my groin lymph area was a little sore but only on my right side.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dermatology
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/17/2016
Dermatologist: dr abid, Doctor (other than dermatologist) replied 2 years ago
dr abid
dr abid, Doctor (other than dermatologist)

Hi there ...

Thank you for your question .

It would be ideal for you , if you please upload picture of sore ?

Regards .

I have included one
One more
When I first noticed it was just a sore then a scab and then how it appears in the photos
Dermatologist: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello. This question was just added to the question list, but it is unclear whether the other expert opted out.

This sore is an ulcer and any ulcer on the penis is worrisome for being herpes. Most herpes sores have a greater amount of surrounding redness, but it may be a mild infection or the redness may not be well demonstrated because of white balance on the camera.

There are other causes of ulcers, so the diagnosis cannot be made solely based on the appearance of an ulcer, but it would be appropriate for you to see your doctor so that a definitive diagnosis is made.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

This is the first time anything like this has been observed my me or my partner. I feel like I would've had a prior episode of sorts. I've been with her for almost a year. I also feel it would've played out differently. Would it take this long to finally have an outbreak? Or would we have had symptoms way sooner?

Herpes can follow any pattern. If symptoms occur immediately after exposure, it will happen about a week or two after exposure. However, a significant number of people with herpes do not have any recollection of symptoms occurring shortly after an exposure. And if symptoms do not occur shortly after exposure, the time until recurrent symptoms can vary tremendously, and may not appear until years later. When studies are done performing blood tests to look for the prevalence of genital herpes (HSV2) in the population, up to half of the people with positive results are surprised and say that they have never had symptoms to indicate that they might be infected.

It is also true, as I said above, that there are other possible causes of ulcers on the penis, and a definitive diagnosis can only be made after a proper evaluation, but with the current prevalence of HSV2 in the US of about 30%, this is certainly the most common cause and warrants that evaluation.

It would have most likely been given to her from her ex. She had a clean screening a few weeks before they split. Sure during that time she could have contracted something. But she denies any symptoms or outbreaks. I just feel like it would've been by the book and we would have had the multiple blisters before the ulcer and all the flu like symptoms or painful urination. This thing just popped up one day after intercourse and masturbation. Also we have preform oral so I feel like it wouldn't be isolated not only to my single sore but also my mouth area. Based off all of this could you give me a percentage of your assumptions?

If you have never had a prior sexual partner and have not had penile-vaginal sex with your current partner, then the risk of genital herpes is much less. Herpes can be transmitted by oral sex, including the oral form of the herpes virus, HSV1, being spread to the genitals. However, the oral form of the virus does not like the genital area as well as the mouth, so the risk of oral transmission is much less.

If her clean screening included a blood test for HSV2, then that also would significantly reduce the risk of genital herpes. Yes, she could still have had an infection developing, since it may take a few months for the blood test to be positive, but the statistical likelihood that she would have gotten infected around the time of the break up would be much less.

Hi there ...

I am Dr Abid ...

This seems to be single sore with redness around its edges indicating inflammation around sore .

This seems to be bite by some insect and highly unlikely the lesion of STD .

As Herpes presents with rash and burning in private parts while warts present with painless , flesh colored lesion .

So it would be ideal for you to have daily cleaning of sore with antiseptics and application of local antibiotic cream , this will heal up .

Regards ***** ***** luck .

Please leave positive feedback for me .

Thanks .