How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Nair Your Own Question
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 9190
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
Type Your Dermatology Question Here...
Dr. Nair is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a red spot on my arm that is slightly raised from my

Customer Question

I have a red spot on my arm that is slightly raised from my skin. It has been there for about 3 months and has gotten bigger. What could this be?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will do my best to provide a useful input.

Would a photograph of the affected area be possible at your convenience?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yep I have attached a photo
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the photograph. Does this patch itch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does not itch or hurt.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information. This patch is most likely something called Granuloma Annulare. This will require a skin biopsy to prove with 100% certainty but the look is typical.

Granuloma Annulare (GA) is a skin condition characterized with the formation of granulomas in the skin. Granulomas are localized collections of certain types of white blood cells. It is not known exactly why this occurs but theories have included response to insect bites, viral infection, vaccination, and trauma among others. The condition is essentially harmless and responds well to treatment in most cases. It also often resolves on its own in many patients but its impossible to predict how long this can take. GA has many types and can occur virtually anywhere on the body.

There are several effective treatments with the first choice being potent steroid creams (e.g clobetasol, halobetasol) or intra-lesional steroid injections. Most of my patients respond to this with lesions clearing in 6-12 weeks. I would recommend seeing your GP or a dermatologist in person to get these prescription medicines as nothing over the counter will help.

Here are two excellent resource for detailed information on the condition:

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.