Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a few bumps on my buttocks area as well as it seems a…

Customer Question
Hello, I have a few...
Hello, I have a few bumps on my buttocks area as well as it seems a sore on my labia. I was hoping you could possibly explain what it may be. I have not been sexually active since last June. The bumps appeared around September October. And I just noticed this for on my labia. Please help. Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dermatology
Here are some pictures
2/16/2016
Dermatologist: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer.

I am sorry that you are having these problems.

The sore appears to be ulcerated, so would be most worrisome for a genital herpes infection. The bumps could be a couple of different infections. I tried to zoom in on the bumps and the resolution limits the amount of zooming, but some of the bumps appear to have a central depression, which would be characteristic of a common infection called molluscum contagiosum. Molluscum can be transmitted by many different forms of contact, including sexual contact, but it is more often spread by non-sexual contact. In fact, children are one of the age groups that are frequently infected. Molluscum contagiosum will usually clear spontaneously, although it will commonly take months to disappear.

Since you have a sore that is worrisome for herpes, it would be better for you to be seen by your doctor, both for a definitive diagnosis and also a discussion of the use of antiviral medicines, which can be used to promote healing of the sore and also to reduce the frequency of recurrences. The doctor can also get a better examination of the bumps to confirm whether they are from molluscum contagiosum.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Thank you that is very helpful I have been doing research and that seems to be the case. I'm just a little confused on the herpes aspect as I have read many articles and some have said that the outbreaks occur within a couple of weeks after sexual intercoarse. This is the first time I've seen this just recently this month. As I haven't been sexually active since last June and there was protected. I have also thought of the possibility of an Aphthous ulcer? Please let me know your opinion on that. I have scheduled an appointment this Thursday. It only looked this way after I put apple cider vinegar on it before it looked like a little bump.

Yes, if someone has noticeable symptoms during the initial outbreak, it will occur within a couple weeks of the sexual encounter of the exposure. However, a significant number of people with genital herpes will not have noticeable symptoms during the initial outbreak. In fact, when blood tests are done in studies to determine the prevalence of antibodies to HSV2 in the population, about half of the people do not recall any time when they previously had any sores. So the fact that there has been months since the last sexual contact does not exclude the possibility of herpes.

I would also note that a condom only offers limited protection against herpes transmission, or any STD that is transmitted by skin-to-skin contact. Since the condom does not cover the entire genital skin, there is still ample opportunity for skin to contact skin and allow for transmission. In studies looking at couples in which only one person is infected, condom can reduce the risk of transmission by about 50-60%, but it certainly is not complete protection.

A herpes sore will usually start as a bump and then progress to an ulcer, and that would not be due to the application of apple cider vinegar.

Yes, it is possible that an ulcer of the genital skin could be an aphthous ulcer, although it is less common on the genital skin than in the mouth being confused for oral herpes. Statistically, we see more genital ulcers from herpes than from aphthous ulcers. But this is part of the differentiation that would need to be done by your doctor.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor