Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

My son has had these strange red discoloration on his

Customer Question
My son has had...

My son has had these strange red discoloration on his fingers. It started with his thumbs, then it progressed to other fingers, on both hands. He also had some rash around his mouth, but that rash went away as soon as I washed his mouth or his face with water. So the rash around his mouth did not stay for days, only for an hour or so after I washed his mouth each time after a meal. He does have a lot of allergies so the rash itself was not a surprise, however, the red fingertips are scaring me and of concern. I went to see a doctor with him, just an on call pediatrician, she has never seen him before. She did not run any tests or blood work, but said it is Hand Foot Mouth disease. However, it loos so different from what I see online for HFM. His is more like internal discoloration like if it was after a blister and it kept growing to his entire fingertip. I am very concerned. He did have a cold or something at the same time that he got these symptoms. Cold is gone now, but symptoms on his fingers have been there for over a week now.

Doctor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Hello, he is 4 year old. My biggest worry is the strange red spots, like blisters on his fingertips. It started after he was having a cold. However, at the same time his hands got very wet inside his gloves and he was playing in the snow a lot, we just had a big snow storm. After he played in the snow, his hands got wet and his fingers looked like they were getting some blisters. Then it kept changing colors, like the fingertips were purplish red. It was only on his thumbs but now it progressed to other fingertips. He had a cold at the same time as well.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dermatology
2/15/2016
Dermatologist: Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist

Hello

Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** and being a Skin, Hair and Nail specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.

Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .

Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:

Could you send me a photo of the condition at your convenience?

You can upload the photo on www.photobucket.com and send me the link

Other method of uploading photo or a file is:

1.Click the paperclip icon

2.Click the Browse icon

3.Click the Browse button

4.Select your file and click Open

5.Click OK

6.Click Insert

7.Click Save Changes on this page

Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Hello Dr. Pravin,
Thank you for your response. I am attaching some photos. The rash on his face is all gone, it did not last for more than a few days and went away when I washed his face. He is a very atopic child with history of eczema and allergies. He recently been developed an allergy to our sofa (vinyl, polyurethane foam) was wheezing and had hives each time he touched the sofa :( this time something is on his fingers. Not a rash, not hives, but discoloration spots. We also played a lot in the snow and his hands got cold and blustery from sweating inside the gloves and then getting wet from snow too and then it all started and coincided with a cold and a trip to children's museum where he touched things that are not washed much... I sent you photos of how it started and what it looks like now after a week. It is red on all his fingertips now, started with a thumb. It is on both hands now.

Thank you very much for the photos.

These strange discolorations/redness on the fingers are a part of the same allergic spectrum.

This is a feature of contact dermatitis. This can be dealt with the application of Tacrolimus ointment that can be applied at night on daily basis for around 3 to 4 weeks.

The other method is to apply Neutrogena intensive hand cream on the area in the morning .

You should use Cetaphil cleanser for sensitive skin to wash his hands.

It will go away in a few weeks.

Do let me know if you have any further queries.