dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I have had issue with my toenails and fingernails for awhile

Customer Question

Hello, I have had issue with my toenails and fingernails for awhile now. I have had to work really hard to keep up with the dry skin on my feet. My toenails have become very thick and I have to file them and have finally got them semi ok. I started using Amlactin lotion on my feet and wearing socks to bed which is helping somewhat. I'm still removing so much dead skin with a pumice everytime I shower. I have to spend an hour my feet twice a week to keep my toenails and skin around them ok. Was wondering what could be causing this. They don't itch or have any open sores. I did have a patch at one time that was red and scaly on the side but it went away after a month, I'm not sure what it was. The first three photos are before I really started this regimen and the last two are current.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** and being a Skin, Hair and Nail specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.

Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .

Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:

Any family history of Diabetes?

Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No history of diabetes. I am currently having a second flare of some type of inflammatory arthritis. It's sieronegative Rheumotologist is leaning towards psoriatic arthritis due to symptoms. My finger nails do have very noticeable beaus lines probably from the inflammation. This is my second flare after a remission of four years. It's been active for about 8 months.
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Have the nail clippings been sent for fungal screening ?

I am suspected dermatophyte infection of the nail on the basis of the photo and the history that you have provided.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No they havent
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for the reply sent.

I would suggest that the nail clippings have to be sent for the fungal study.

I would suggest you should apply Loceryl nail lacquer twice a week for around 3 months to treat the nails.

You should also consider an oral anti fungal tablet like Terbinafine taken twice a day for 7 days of every month for 5 months.

You should also consider intake of Biotin supplements to increase the strength of the nails.

Please note that you would need a prescription for the Terbinafine while the Biotin is available otc.

Do let me know if you have any further queries.

Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I am awaiting a reply from you .

Please do let me know if you have any further queries.

Regards

Dr Pravin Banodkar