Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

You have two species of bacteria. One is an obligate

Customer Question
fermenter which can catabolize both...
You have two species of bacteria. One is an obligate fermenter which can catabolize both glucose and fructose; the second is a facultative respire which can only catabolize glucose.
You have two growth conditions. Media containing an equal amount of glucose and fructose incubated aerobically; and the same media incubated anaerobically.
Under each condition, predict which organism will grow to a greater number of cells when the cultures reach a stationary phase. Explain your answers.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dermatology
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/14/2016
Dermatologist: Anthony Bray MD, Physician replied 2 years ago
Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD, Physician

Hello !

An "OBLIGATE FERMENTER" would mean that it can ONLY survive in the ABSENCE of oxygen ...

This organism would dominate the culture grown anaerobically

The bacteria that has facultative respiration means that it can survive with or without oxygen but it does better ibn the presence of oxygen....

So if bacteria A is your OBLIGATE FERMENTER

And bacteria B is your faculatative respiration organism

Then AEROBICALLY the culture favors B

Anerobically favors A

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD