Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a 3 month old baby and I found a lump underneath her…

Customer Question
I have a 3 month...
I have a 3 month old baby and I found a lump underneath her chin a few weeks ago. It is bruised and is very veiny. I was concerned so I called her doctor and brought her in. He kind of made me feel stupid for bringing her in and said it was just a bruise and that it would go away on it's own, but ithasn't. A week passed by and I noticed that the veins had gotten darker so I took her to a different pediatrician at an urgent care and he said that it is more than just a bruise and referred us to a dermatologist. Well, the soonest I could get her into a dermatologist is 3 weeks out so I scheduled the appointment, but I am still very worried so I would feel better if I could just talk to someone about it to maybe ease my mind a bit while I wait for her appointment...
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dermatology
I am very concerned and want to know what this is. She is breastfed exclusively and has doubled her weight since birth.
2/13/2016
Dermatologist: Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist

Hello

Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** and being a Skin, Hair and Nail specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.

Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .

Do you have any history in the family of any hemangiomas ?

Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

No we don't that I know of.

Thank you for your image sent and the reply.

This is definitely more than a bruise.

It looks like a venous hemangioma . I am judging that based on the fact that it has a deep blue color and the venous tributaries seen on the stretching.

I would suggest an ultrasonography test needs to be done.

By 3 months it can grow more so I would suggest that there is no harm in getting a sonography done earlier.

Please do let me know if you have any further queries.

It looks darker today. That picture was from a few days ago. What do you think that means

If it is darker then it may be growing and would need a check up by a sonography

Does that mean it's dangerous?

It is not dangerous but should definitely be investigated like a sonography .

You cannot let it be. You need to know what lies within the skin .

Do you Agree with what I have mentioned ?

Hello

I am awaiting as response from you .

Do let me know if you have any further queries.

I would be happy to help you .

She has been gaining weight quickly on top of this strange bruise. Like a pound a week and she is exclusively breastfed. Is this a concern?

This weight gain is not related to this growth. No need to be worried about it.

Is there any question in your mind that this could be cancerous?

No NOT at all

Thank you so much for your help.

Thank you for your reply.

I have released the rating service application .

Please do provide me a feedback for my opinion provided.

Regards

Dr Pravin

It is now getting little red dots on it. What does this mean?

Do you have a photo of the red dots ?

I don't right now. I can take one tomorrow. it is lumpy underneath it also. It's not just one lump is lumpy

Have you got an appointment for the ultrasonography test as yet ?

She just had her ultrasound done this morning. The sonographer obviously couldn't tell us much, but she did say that she does not know where the source of the mass is. She also said that she had no idea what it is. I didn't ask her many questions because I know they have a limited amount of things they are allowed to say, this is just what she told me. She said that she would send the images to the radiologist and then they would forward the information to her PCP from there.

Thank you so much for the reply.

When will you get the report ?

Do you have any further queries ?

Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist