Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I went on a crazy purely protein diet for a few months. and…

Customer Question
i went on a crazy...
i went on a crazy purely protein diet for a few months. and in the process lost lots of weight. and in December of 2015 i started to notice extreme hair loss. I went to a doctor and got a blood test and was told that I had a Iron deficiency. I was given iron pills to take for two months. in the mean time i was still trying to make sure that I was not just going bold. I went to the Dermatologist but she and told her what had happened as explained here. and without even checking me she told me that my hair issue is because of the Iron and the extreme diet and that I should be fine. I have been eating better and trying to take my vitamins along with iron pills given to me by my doctor. My shedding has slowed. but when can I expect to see hair regrow.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dermatology
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/13/2016
Dermatologist: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

your hair will slowly regrow back when your body's nutrition helps heal back your hair follicles.

your hair follicles need a lot of nutrients to make hair including iron, protein, B12, folate, biotin, and many other nutrients.

new hair I'm sure has already started to regrow.

hair grows slowly about 0.5inches a month.

so it can take a while to see new long hair.

let me know if you have questions.