Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Customer Question
Hi My name is...

Hi My name is Patti

Doctor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Yes..I have extremely itchy arms. I cant seem to get any relief from the itch...ive tried lotions but it only relieves the itch temporarily. Its driving me out of my mind. Any ideas on what this could be?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dermatology
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/11/2016
Dermatologist: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now there are several causes for the itching. Since you havent mentioned a rash this means that the problem is likely to be internal in nature meaning you could have a systemic condition. The first one which comes to mind is that you could have problems related to the kidneys or the liver. Both of these can cause itching. Simple blood tests can determine if your kidneys or liver are damaged or not functioning properly. This would cause itching due to build up of toxins in the blood stream.

Another cause can be a hidden malignancy such as lymphoma which is a cancer of the lymph nodes. This can cause itching, sweating, weight loss as well lumps anywhere on the body or inside the body. blood tests and CT scans of the body can detect this problem.

yet another cause here can be increase in the number of red blood cells in the body which can lead to itching, this can be due to libing at high altitude presence of COPD or past history of smoking and in some cases due to a genetic abnormality. this is known as polycythemia. The diagnosis is based on blood tests.

So as you can see the causes can be several here and i think now is the time to get a complete blood workup done to start with alongwith a clinical examination so that the underlying cause can be determined.

I hope I have been helpful and this answers your query. Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge although any bonuses would be appreciated. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR Dr. Muneeb Ali".

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Do you have any more questions?

If you are satisfied, Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars below, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating.

Do you have any more questions?

Do you have any more questions?