How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Chaithanya Your Own Question
Dr Chaithanya
Dr Chaithanya, General Physician, Medical Researcher, All medical and health questions answered.
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 798
Experience:  General Physician, Family medicine, Internal medicine, all age groups.
Type Your Dermatology Question Here...
Dr Chaithanya is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a bump on the underside of my left cheek 1 1/2 years.

Customer Question

Hi. I have a bump on the underside of my left butt cheek for over 1 1/2 years. Thought it was a boil ( gets larger & smaller)( largest was size of fist- OUCHY). have tried many compresses , tea tree oil, & erythromycin gel. Currently it is smaller with no visible head( it has never drained) but does appear to have pus or something deep inside. Have attempted to drain with razor but wasn't able to go deep enough to pocket of yuck. Do you think this could be a boil, cyst or fitula? thank you.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes. When it is large it is very red and painful. Seems like an infection. When small only hurts if I sit in certain ways.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dermatologists generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 1 year ago.


I'm Dr Chaithanya, experienced General Physician attending you today.

It is most probably an infectious cyst or can be a boil. Inflammatory findings like redness and pain. It should be drained by a surgeon in a hospital. Do not use a razor as it can add infection. Until examined fistula cannot be ruled out, though rare chances.

Anywhere pus in the body should be drained, as a rule, so just get examined in a hospital, get it drained, and you will be given an antibiotic cream as well as the oral antibiotic course. Avoid pressure on it by often sitting till it heals. You will be alright soon after the antibiotic course. Along with it, you will be prescribed pain killers[NSAIDS] like Ibuprofen.

Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 1 year ago.

Please feel free to ask if any further questions. If done for now, please leave a positive rating [Request to click on the 5th star] above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today.

We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback.

You can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Chaithanya" in the medicine or health categories.

If you have any medical questions in future, save this link to reach me.

A little bonus from your side is highly appreciated!

Thanks for using

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do I need to see a specialist or will urgent care work?
Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 1 year ago.

Hi, you can go to urgent care and they can do the necessary treatment and prescribe the antibiotics.

Request you to leave a positive rating.

A bonus is appreciated.

I wish you a speedy recovery.