Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a bump on the underside of my left cheek for over 1…

Customer Question
Hi. I have a...

Hi. I have a bump on the underside of my left butt cheek for over 1 1/2 years. Thought it was a boil ( gets larger & smaller)( largest was size of fist- OUCHY). have tried many compresses , tea tree oil, & erythromycin gel. Currently it is smaller with no visible head( it has never drained) but does appear to have pus or something deep inside. Have attempted to drain with razor but wasn't able to go deep enough to pocket of yuck. Do you think this could be a boil, cyst or fitula? thank you.

Doctor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Yes. When it is large it is very red and painful. Seems like an infection. When small only hurts if I sit in certain ways.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dermatology
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/3/2016
Dermatologist: Dr Chaithanya, General Physician, Medical Researcher, All medical and health questions answered. replied 2 years ago
Dr Chaithanya
Dr Chaithanya, General Physician, Medical Researcher, All medical and health questions answered.

I'm Dr Chaithanya, experienced General Physician attending you today.

It is most probably an infectious cyst or can be a boil. Inflammatory findings like redness and pain. It should be drained by a surgeon in a hospital. Do not use a razor as it can add infection. Until examined fistula cannot be ruled out, though rare chances.

Anywhere pus in the body should be drained, as a rule, so just get examined in a hospital, get it drained, and you will be given an antibiotic cream as well as the oral antibiotic course. Avoid pressure on it by often sitting till it heals. You will be alright soon after the antibiotic course. Along with it, you will be prescribed pain killers[NSAIDS] like Ibuprofen.

Please feel free to ask if any further questions. If done for now, please leave a positive rating [Request to click on the 5th star] above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today.

We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback.

You can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Chaithanya" in the medicine or health categories.

If you have any medical questions in future, save this link to reach me.

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-chaithanya/

A little bonus from your side is highly appreciated!

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

do I need to see a specialist or will urgent care work?

Hi, you can go to urgent care and they can do the necessary treatment and prescribe the antibiotics.

Request you to leave a positive rating.

A bonus is appreciated.

I wish you a speedy recovery.