Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I just noticed my heels are red. When I press them the skin…

Customer Question
I just noticed my heels...
I just noticed my heels are red. When I press them the skin goes white
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dermatology
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/1/2016
Dermatologist: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer.

Could you attach a picture of the red heels?

Is it tender when you press in the area of redness?

I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.

Redness of the skin can be due to inflammation, but the inflammation can be of the skin or of the structures under the skin. Redness also can be due to any condition that increases blood flow to that area. I asked for a picture because the appearance on a picture can help to suggest the underlying cause.

If it is from inflammation in the skin, it would be OK to use an over the counter hydrocortisone cream. If it is from inflammation of a structure under the skin, this would be from musculoskeletal inflammation, so it would be OK to use an over the counter oral anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.