Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I had question im taking saw palmetto to block DTH but i was…

Customer Question
Hi i had question im...
Hi i had question im taking saw palmetto to block DTH but i was wondering what is the best natural DHT blockers with the best results also what is thr best natural product that can help bring back the life of the hair cells that are dying?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dermatology
1/27/2016
Dermatologist: Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD replied 2 years ago
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

No i do not take any medications
I just need need to know if therebis any natural DHT blocker that actully is proven to work and also a natural hair regrowth supplement that i can buy. Is saw palmetto the best natural DHT Blocker ?

Thank you for that additional information.

As you might imagine by all the products out there none of them really work to cause hair regrowth or block DHT.

If you are experiencing significant hair loss at your age the best thing to do is see your primary care MD for a complete evaluation and, if indicated, referral to a dermatologist who specialized in your condition.

You will not find the answers you seek by consulting with The Evil Dr. Google or using natural/home treatments.

Does this make sense to you?

I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three feedback choices, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.

Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

there is nothing i get to block DTH? Besides Propecia. I would get that but the doctor said it would dangerous for me

Nothing that works with any regularity........I'd not spend any time trying any of the things you read about on the internet as you will only be disappointed -- and poorer.

Make sense?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

what would you recommend i take?

Nothing that is available over the counter -- none of them work!

See a dermatologist who specializes in hair loss and issues.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Ok last questions Propecia or finasterider those do not work either? Even though they are FDA approved?

They are the exact same compound; Propecia is just one trade name for finasterider....

And if you use this drug you might get up to a 30% improvement in your hair....which will go away once you stop taking the drug.

So, in my opinion, while this drug might "work" it does not work very well, especially since you will have to stay on it for the rest of your life to get even a small improvement.

Sorry about that :(

Anyone who tells you different is jerking your chain and stealing your money.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

there is nothing you would have me take for my hair of the top of your head?
Dermatologist: khagihara, Medical doctor replied 2 years ago
khagihara
khagihara, Medical doctor

Unfortunately no effective over-the-counter medications for androgenetic alopecia. You should see a dermatologist to have oral finasteride (1 mg/day) over topical minoxidil. The alternative first-line therapy si topical minoxidil 5% solution or foam if you prefer to avoid systemic (oral) therapy. The response to treatment with both agents is variable. You must continue treatment to maintain efficacy. If treatment is discontinued, hair loss will occur within several months after the cessation of therapy. Hair transplantation can result in permanent improvements in hair growth in areas of the scalp. Continuing treatment with finasteride and/or minoxidil after hair transplantation may help to minimize additional hair loss.

What about saw palmetto does that block DHT?

Saw palmetto may block some hormonal effects and may be an effective treatment for hair loss, with benefits similar to the agent finasteride (Propecia®), when applied to the scalp. Early research suggests that saw palmetto may improve hair density, but evidence is limited at this time. Further research is needed before conclusions can be made. Although there is unclear scientific evidence for this use, you should try it.

could I use saw palmetto then and would that be okay?

You should try it which could work for you.