Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I suffer from scrotal itch with no rash, bumps or any other

Customer Question

I suffer from scrotal itch with no rash, bumps or any other symptoms. It begins to act up at night as soon as i'm in bed. Have seen a specialist but the topical medication prescribed only masks the itch. He's also given me medication to manage the 'nerves' or something but it doesn't do squat. Feels like a placebo to me. Have had this before but it usually disappears with non-presecriptive OTC meds and has never lasted this long - 4 months. My specialist believes its nerve related. Am at my wits end as it is affecting my sleep. Incidentally, I spend at least an hour working out from 5 - 6am before getting ready for work. I live in a warm & humid, tropical country. I use the fan at night but at the lowest speed as I have found that the faster it rotates, the greater the itch. Have tried the air-conditioner but to no avail. Also am not really an air-con fab; prefer my windows open. Hope u can help. Thanks - Prakash
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Btw - during this 4 month period, it has disappeared but returns after a week or so. But it returned with a vengeance about 7 days back. This time around it's been affecting my sleep. Anything affordable that will mask the itch will suffice for now as the dermatologists meds are incredibly costly.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

When there is itching without a rash, there are several conditions to consider. It could be a form of eczema or allergic inflammation of the skin. It could be related to excessive dryness of the skin in that area of the itching. And it could be related to irritation of the nerves that serve this skin. Infections also can sometimes cause itching as a sole symptom, although there is usually a rash or other changes in the skin.

From your description, it sounds like your doctor has tried different medicines for these various conditions, but you did not specify which medicines have been tried, so I may repeat some of the previously used medicines. A long-acting oral antihistamine, such as cetirizine or loratidine, would be reasonable. Using a moisturizing cream can help with eczema or excessive dryness. Nerve mediated itching may improve with certain anticonvulsants, such as gabapentin or pregabalin, or certain antidepressants, such as amitriptyline or duloxetine, each of which appear to each the firing of the nerves, although the amitriptyline also has some antihistamine action.

If I have answered all your questions, please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).

However, if I can provide any further information or clarification, please let me know.

Please bookmark my profile for asking future questions.

This is a link to my profile:

www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/