Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have small dry flesh colored bumps around the head of my…

Customer Question
I have small dry flesh...
I have small dry flesh colored bumps around the head of my penis. Non itchy or painful. Almost a sandpapery feel to the effected area. ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dermatology
It started just under the head of my penis, but has started to spread to the top of the head and down the shaft.
1/23/2016
Dermatologist: Dr. Nair, Dermatologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist

Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will do my best to provide a useful input.

When did these bumps start appearing?

About a a month or two ago.

Thank you for the information. These bumps look like something called Lichen Nitidus to me. This is an autoimmune condition of the skin and often affects the penis. Lichen Planus, a very similar, condition would be the second possibility, but much less likely. It is not understood why Lichen Nitidus develops but the good news is that it is very treatable. Atypical warts would be the third possibility.

A skin biopsy from a representative bump can help confirm the diagnosis but most patients are not keen to have a biopsy done on a sensitive area like the penis, and in that case a treatment trial with a potent steroid cream like Clobetasol or Halobetasol is the normal course of action. This is followed by another set of meds like Tacrolimus ointment for 6-8 weeks. All of these require a prescription - if you cannot see a Dermatologist easily you could try mixing Cortizone-10 ointment with Bacitracin ointment in a 1:1 ratio and applying twice a day for 1-2 weeks to see if that helps. Both of these are available over the counter without a prescription; please note that these are much milder than the prescription drugs and their chance of success is low.

In the rare event that the prescription meds fail to clear the bumps then other possibilities like Atypical warts would need to be considered. I don’t think this will occur though.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

P.S: Sorry about the delayed response - did not get an alert that you had responded and then was traveling for 4 days. Have just come back and logged on this morning.

Thank you for the response. I will try that.

You're most welcome!

Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist