Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

For a time I have suffered from itch on scalp. I have gone…

Customer Question
For a long time I...
For a long time I have suffered from itch on scalp. I have gone to dermatologists and some have said it's similar to polyps in the colon, could lead to cancer. Freezing seems to help for a short time but nothing permanent, and I have tried several Px to no avail. The only thing I have found to give immediate relief, but doesn't last long, is peppermint oil.
Anything I can do ?
I also have itch of skin, especially on my back, where I can't get to it, of course, and I wonder if this could be any relation to the scalp itch problem.
Thanks a lot,
Robert
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dermatology
1/20/2016
Dermatologist: dr abid, Doctor (other than dermatologist) replied 2 years ago
dr abid
dr abid, Doctor (other than dermatologist)

Hi there ...

Thank you for your question ...

Sorry to hear about your scalp issue .

Respected customer keep in mind that , treatment depends on exact diagnosis for proper diagnosis it would be ideal for you to have biopsy of infected part of skin to see what actually is going wrong , so please ask your dr to have Skin biopsy for proper management .

Regards ***** ***** luck .

Please rate my answer as good service .

Thanks .

Dermatologist: DrRussMd, Internist/homeopath replied 2 years ago
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Internist/homeopath

Hello

Since you have a diagnosis of a precancerous lesion I am sure you had a lab test or biopsy.

Clinical inspection is usually adequate for diagnosis, as long as you have seen an internist or dermatologist.

Biopsy must be interpreted along with clinical diagnosis, it is often non specific.

Lichen sclerosis can affect the scalp, and needs intense steroid treatment.

Actinic keratosis needs to be removed.

Clarify the diagnosis with your doctor.

As to your actual questions.

Itching without a rash on the back can be from

allergy

hidden cancer [another reason to see your doctor].

hidden infection

diabetes

iron deficiency

parasites

polycythemia very

Liver or kidney problems

Heavy metal toxicity

other problems.

Stop treating this yourself.

Talk with your doctor today.

I am a double board certified UNITED STATES doctor.

I have over 20 years of experience as a top rated doctor.

Please click a positive rating. On this answer page. Ask more as needed after that.
Find me, Dr. Thomas, anytime in medical

Respected customer ...

Clinical diagnosis is not adequate in your case .

It would be ideal for you to have Biopsy please .

Good luck .

Positive feedback will be appreciated .