Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

Bump on my penis

Customer Question
Bump on my penis
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dermatology
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/20/2016
Dermatologist: Dr. Nair, Dermatologist replied 1 year ago
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist

Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will do my best to provide a useful input.

Would a photograph of the affected area be possible at your convenience?

Thank you for the photograph. Your bump is most suggestive of a Genital Wart. This is viral infection of the skin usually transmitted sexually. The bump per se is harmless but treatment is required to prevent spread to your sexual partner.

There is no one best treatment for genital warts - many factors come into play. The most important is the decision to follow a physician administered or patient administered approach. Do you have a dermatologist who you can visit for treatment on a weekly basis or would you prefer something you can do at home with monthly or 6 weekly follow ups with your doctor?

I generally have good results treating genital warts with weekly podophylin resin (podowart) application on the warts. It generally takes 4-8 weeks for the warts to clear up, but can take longer. This cannot be used by the patient on his own since it can have side effects such as ulceration, however there is weaker version of this available for home use - it is called podophyllotoxin and results are about the same as imiquimod, another patient applied method. Both these latter can be prescribed by your doctor and then used by you at home without needing weekly doctor visits. Another effective option is TCA acid application but this again requires weekly doctor visits.

Lastly warts can be either burnt off with a laser/radiofrequency/electrosurgical machine or frozen with cryotherapy.

I would suggest starting Zinc Capsules such as those from L-OptiZinc (taken one morning and evening) and scheduling an appointment with a dermatologist. Till you can get treatment I would suggest stopping sexual activity or making sure you use protection (this decreases the risk but does not eliminate it).

I would not recommend any of the OTC anti-wart formulations since they cannot reliable cure genital warts. If there is absolutely no way you can see a doctor then you can try using a 16-17% Salicylic Acid or Salicylic Acid/Lactic acid combination lotion to be applied twice a day along with taking the zinc capsules (both these are available over the counter without a prescription). This method can take many months for benefit though and does not work in all men.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist