Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My left hand seems to have a blue color especially around

Customer Question

My left hand seems to have a blue color especially around the veins visible through the skin. The right hand appears to have some of the same coloration but not to the same extent. Is this change in my skin appearance of concern?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

A blue discoloration in the hand is primarily a concern if it could be related to low levels of oxygen, but if the discoloration is limited to the skin around the veins, this is less of a concern. However, if the discoloration affects the palms or fingertips, that would be more of a concern.

Similarly, if there is any associated shortness of breath, that would also be worrisome.

Is this blue color only on the back of the hand or do you also see it on the palms or fingertips?

Are you having any shortness of breath?

Alternatively, can you attach a picture of the discoloration?

I had asked for some further information or a picture and have not heard back.

If this discoloration is limited to the skin around the veins on the back of the hand, that would be less of a concern.

However, there would be more of a concern if there is blue discoloration of the palm of the hands or the fingertips, particularly if there is any associated shortness of breath.

If you can attach a picture, then a better comment can be made.