Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

I had seen Dermatologist a month and half ago and he gave

Customer Question
triamcinolone acetonide. There was small...
I had seen Dermatologist a month and half ago and he gave triamcinolone acetonide. There was small ulceration early but after applying triamcinolone acetonide it went away on its own, after that there has not been any ulceration. He though it is mild eczema and bacterial infection could have caused it, he said it eczema may not itch on glans penis. I applied triamcinolone acetonide only for one week and then never applied since there was no ulceration.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dermatology
Is this a mild psoriasis of penis. It's been there for a while. I am not applying anything. No itching, or burning. I do have inverse psoriasis in my one arm pit, extreme itching and on scrotum. I do have dry skin and gets worse in winter.This appears more like eczema or psoriasis because it has that feel of shaded skin and white scaling in rest of the area (see first 2 pictures), other saying balanoposthitis that stays long enough due to immune system issues. However ezcema or psoriasis on glans penis tends to have red non scaly appearance on glans penis due to moisture and coveredPlease confirm what is it ?
Hello ?
No answer yet ?
1/17/2016
Dermatologist: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer.

I am sorry that no expert has responded yet, but since there has not been any response in the Dermatology category, the question has now been placed in the Medical category.

While we cannot make definitive diagnoses over the internet, the appearance on the picture appears to be more indicative of eczema than psoriasis. While steroid creams, such as triamcinolone acetonide, can be used for exacerbations, doctors also usually try to limit the length of treatment on the penis. An alternate home intervention that may help would be the use of a moisturizing cream, and this has the advantage of being an intervention that can be continued indefinitely.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you forward this to Mr Nair, who is a Dermatoloist ?. I would really appreciate thatThank you
Dermatologist: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 1 year ago

I can opt out, but I cannot say when Dr. Nair will be online.

Dermatologist: DocPhilMD, Doctor replied 1 year ago
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor

Can I help?

I'm quite sure I can assist you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could you please forward that to him ?. He has looked at similar conditions in the past and that is why I wanted him to seeThank you
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Dr.PhilCould you please let me know what the above condition looks like. I have attached pictures
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have attached latest pictures. This rash sometimes looks pink, no itching, appears and then sometimes becomes red after bath, later becomes pink, what is it ?. I did not apply any medications except first couple of weeks, then I stopped.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
any feedback ?
Dermatologist: Dr Chaithanya, General Physician, Medical Researcher, All medical and health questions answered. replied 1 year ago
Dr Chaithanya
Dr Chaithanya, General Physician, Medical Researcher, All medical and health questions answered.

Hi, This is Dr Chaithanya, have seen similar patients before. I have to continue answering as Dr Nair is not online.

I have seen the picture. It is like an Eczema. Can be triggered by either bacterial infection or due to any contact allergies or due to an immune trigger in the body. Now, you continue applying triamcinolone acetonide for one more week. Take a multivitamin tablet course for three weeks, apply regular moisturizers and see if there is any improvement.

If it doesn't settle down, You need to consult a dermatologist who takes a scraping and sends to pathology to know what it is!

I’m glad I helped you today. If done for now, please leave positive rating [Request to click on the 5th star] above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today.

We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback.

You can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Chaithanya" in the medicine or health categories.

If you have any medical questions in future, save this link to reach me.

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-chaithanya/

A little bonus from your side is highly appreciated!

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
why there is no itching if this is eczema ?. Also originally when it started, there were ulcers and more red spots, now they seem to have settled down and I see only smooth wrinkled skin with thin red marks. Do you think those red band will remain permanent and may never fade away. I have no pain.See the picture from November 10-11-12 and Jan 19, the redness is less. Earlier there were few small ulcers, now past month and half no ulcer and skin feels smooth, only sightly reddish, is this allergic response?, it feels more hyper pigmented. I do have oral lichen planus in my mouth and psoriasis in armpit, this does not look like lichen planus. I know that for sure, no white straie lines or anything, more like psoriasis, I am not sure why you said eczema, because there is no itching. Why there is this hyper pigmented band that looks different after bath, sometimes different in morning, lot red, different in evening but the band seems to be there. I see no crust, ulceration, just smooth, but slightly wrinkled skin with hype reddish pigmentation. I have not applied any hydrocortizone or anything for past month and half.I do have psoriasis in my armpit and couple of other areas. I have attached picture. Do you think this is similar to that ?(inverse psoriasis and sometimes plaque)

This is Dr. Love again. Dr. Chaithanya has opted out, but note that she agreed with my original answer that it appears to be eczema, rather than psoriasis, and that using a moisturizing cream is a reasonable treatment option..

It is true that mild psoriasis can sometimes look like eczema, but it usually will go through phases in which it has more of the typical appearance of psoriasis.

To address your follow-up questions -

Eczema does not always have itching. It certainly is true that itching is frequently present with eczema, but it is not always present. It is common for many skin conditions to be more apparent after showering or bathing because of increased blood flow to the skin from the water temperature and rubbing involved in washing.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had read about Bowen disease (EQ)and many other pre-malignant lesions on penis, the internet is filled with all scary things and it's worrying me a lot since everything looks the same. I do have other skin conditions on my body such as psoriasis (Arm pit, constant groin itching) for almost 20 years now. I seem to get get lot skin issues. Last year I got oral lichen planus in mouth only, then came on nails. I do not think this is lichen planus though.so you are sure this is eczema and nothing to worry about. I don't want to apply steroids and noticed if I bother with less, the redness goes down, the more I start watching it and following it, worse it seems to get. Last 2 months are really painful. Do you think the penis rashes like these take long time to resolve ?, since that red patch is there for a while now, looks more like hyper pigmentation than any real rash, earlier I had pain and small ulcers in that red - most like bacterial infection, but now that's gone. It could be just hyper pigmentation left due to previous infection and may be nothingPlease confirmThank you

As I said above, we cannot make definitive diagnoses over the internet, but this looks most like eczema and does not look like any serious condition. I would favor trying long term management with a moisturizing cream, rather than steroids. Eczema can be either episodic or chronic, and in the latter case, it can persist and require management for a long time.

It is possible that there was an infection causing the previous ulcers, but as long as the ulcers do not recur, that is not an issue.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I tried applying Hydrogen peroxide and it got really worse in the past, I read online Turmeric heals eczema and applied it yesterday at night, it got worse today, very red ad inflamed and there is pain. I am confused, is this Ecezma or Psoriasis, Why did skin got bad there after applying turmeric which normally heals eczema or other skin conditions?.I want to try out non-sterorid natural therapy, why would turmeric make it worse. it is both anti-septic, anti-inflammatory and heals skin wounds quickly. I had tried on skin in the past when there was cut and it quickly healed any infections. Here it got worse ?Not sure what is going on ? . why did it get worse ? due to ??I have attached images, see it looks bright red inflamed..

Please don't forget a positive rating.
I appreciate it

If you have more questions, just reply :)

DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor