khagihara
khagihara, Medical doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.
20084961

I've had my nail plates on thumb and middle finger crumble

Customer Question

I've had my nail plates on thumb and middle finger crumble away. Then when the nail grows out it's detached from the nail bed. Nail bed is dry with hard skin. It has happened before but that fingernail healed and hasn't had any problems. This has been an ongoing issue for the past two years, and I keep them bandaged daily to keep dry. What's going on? I work in a salon, but I wear gloves all the time.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Can you attach clearer photos? I can't see them well. Any medical problems? Any surgeries? Any medications including over-the-counter pills and herbs? Any family medical history? Pain or itch? Are you aware of anything which might have trigger it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No medical history just appendicitis ten years ago. No meds. I work with cleaning chemicals and thought that's what triggered this when it first started. No pain or itchiness. No family history of illnesses.
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

It could be fungal infection. You need to see your doctor to refer a dermatologist or see a dermatologist to have the sample taken to see if there is fungus or not.