Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I'm certain I currently have a case of athletes foot just by…

Customer Question
Hi, I'm certain I currently...
Hi, I'm certain I currently have a case of athletes foot just by doing original research on my own. Itchy red toes became swollen and sore with a blister and flaky skin in-between. However, when consulted by a doctor today, she didn't think it was athletes foot and diagnosed me with a foot bacteria infection. In 5 days of the start of the itchiness I have developed a swollen gland in my upper leg/groin area. The doctor prescribed Doxycycline for this problem along with a cream to spread around my foot during this time.
Does this seem like a just prescription? Doxycycline is used to treat bacteria infection and has been known to cause athletes foot as a side effect (I'm sure you know this). But if I do have athletes foot will taking doxycycline only make it worse? Or should I be taking an anti-fungal drug to treat this. I know the doctor knows best but just from looking at athletes foot pictures and symptoms, I was most certain that was it. Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dermatology
1/16/2016
Dermatologist: Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist

Hello

Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** and being a Skin, Hair and Nail specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.

Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .

Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:

Could you send me a photo of the condition at your convenience?

You can upload the photo on www.photobucket.com and send me the link

Other method of uploading photo or a file is:

1.Click the paperclip icon

2.Click the Browse icon

3.Click the Browse button

4.Select your file and click Open

5.Click OK

6.Click Insert

7.Click Save Changes on this page

Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

I added the pic using the + Add files selection on the bottom of this page. Did it work? Photobucket would not work for me.

Thank you so much for the photo sent.

I have got the photo.

Do you have history of Diabetes Mellitus ?

Since how long do you have this condition ?

No I do not have a history of diabetes mellitus. I've had this condition for 6 days now. It started off as an itchy red spot in between my 4th and 5th toe and has escalated to this.

Yes , it is definitely a candidal infection complicated by a bacterial infection.

You would need to apply Canestan lotion on the area twice day for 15 days .

You can take Once a week Diflucan 150 mg for 4 weeks.

Doxycycline will have no role in decreasing or increasing the inflammation process .

You should be taking the anti fungal mentioned above.

Do get back to me in case of any further queries.