How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMd Your Own Question
DrRussMd, Internist/homeopath
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 64937
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor/homeopathy medical and homeopathic approaches to skin disorders.
Type Your Dermatology Question Here...
DrRussMd is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had red and dry skin on my face for around 3-4 years

Customer Question

I have had red and dry skin on my face for around 3-4 years now and it bothers me every day. I think it was the result of a 2nd degree sunburn a few years ago, and as a result i peeled the first layer of my skin off my face. it appears my skin still hasn't fully healed even though I feel it should have had plenty of time. It's mostly around my cheeks, nose (especially the corners), and chin. It feels and looks a bit rough and if not moisturized, it starts cracking into skin flakes. i dont have it this severe any where else on my body, though I do have a dandruff problem as well. As a kid and in my young teens my skin was perfectly normal. I would be so happy if I could get rid of this problem or atleast make my skin appear relatively normal
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 1 year ago.


what is your question?

can you attach a picture here?

We do not diagnose or treat, but I can help you with the possibilities and how to proceed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello,My question is what can you recommend I do to help my skin improve? I have attached some photos
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 1 year ago.

I see nothing pathological here.

You might have dry skin.

I would have this examined under a dermatoscope.

This can be done by any dermatologist.

I would also look at reasons for dry skin.

So I would check

all routine labs

thyroid hormone panel

ANA panel..

Thyroid problems can cause skin like this.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. By check all routine labs, what do you mean? Where can I get these tests done affordably?
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 1 year ago.

Only by a doctors order.

Comprehensive metabolic panel.



I can not really advise you on where to get your medical care, but if you call the health department they can advise you on neighborhood clinics, which are on a sliding scale.