Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Have a rash that is kinda like dry red skin on the tip and

Customer Question

Have a rash that is kinda like dry red skin on the tip and under shaft on my penis, I'm very scared as I have never had any problems in the area
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Could you attach a picture of the dry red skin?

I had asked whether a picture could be attached and I have not heard back.

It certainly is true that a fungal infection of the skin is a common cause of red skin on the penis. And while clotrimazole is a good medicine for a skin fungal infection, it will not work 100% of the time. When there is a fungal skin infection that does not respond to clotrimazole, there are a couple of commonly used options. It may work better to use a topical antifungal medicine that is in a different chemical class, such as terbinafine/Lamisil. For a stubborn infection, it also may be necessary to use an oral medicine, such as fluconazole/Diflucan. For a particularly severe infection, it may be more effective to use a combination of both a topical and an oral medicine.

There are other conditions of the skin that can cause this redness, such as an inflammatory condition of the skin or a bacterial infection, but it would require a picture of the skin to suggest whether one of these other conditions may be more likely.

If I have answered all your questions, please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).

However, if I can provide any further information or clarification, please let me know.

Please bookmark my profile for asking future questions.

This is a link to my profile:

www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/