Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have symptons of sellulitis, bright red nose, painful,

Customer Question

I have symptons of sellulitis, bright red nose, painful, crusty discharge on inner nose near the tip. It has started to clear up but the tip and right front nostril is still a pail re, sensitive not painful and crusty on the inside. My question is, can I apply Bacitracin Antibiotic to the inner nostrils? I believe it is clearing up but seems to be a little stubborn.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, it is OK to apply Bacitracin inside the nose, although it only should be applied in the lower portion of the inside of the nose, or the area that can be reached with your small finger. The medicine can actually be applied higher in the nose, but it is difficult for someone at home to safely apply a medicine higher in the nose.

It is also true that topical Bacitracin is only of limited potency, and many people with cellulitis of the nose will only improve with oral antibiotics, but it is OK to try the Bacitracin on the inside of the nose.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any additional assistance.