khagihara
khagihara, Medical doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.
20084961

I went to derm on Tuesday for Angular Cheilitis. He gave

Customer Question

Hello, I went to derm on Tuesday for Angular Cheilitis. He gave nystatin ointment and valtrex. He said he wanted to cover bases and do fungal and viral treatment. I don't like to take meds and they make me sick. Can't see taking 500 mg 3 times a day for 5 days. I called them back and they called in anti viral ointment but it isn't covered and was $800 to purchase. Now the office is closed for Christmas. I guess I want to know if the antiviral is necessary or if it will heal on its own anyway. Also I have kids am I contagious? Thanks
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

In many cases, no treatment is needed and angular cheilitis resolves by itself. If it is Herpes, it is contagious. You should cover the area with bandaid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell from pic? Dr said angular but may have viral component.
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

If there are/were small blisters, they are herpes.

Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

If not, they are not.

Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Even though they are herpes, they will resolve by themselves.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No no blisters at all just a sore at the angle of my mouth. I thought it was a canker sore at 1st. Thanks
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Okay. They are not herpes. If you don't have diabetes or are on antibiotics, thrush is also not likely. It could be due to iron deficiency, riboflavin (vitamin B2) deficiency, sensitive skin. You don't need to worry about it very much.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have a bad taste in my mouth (I've had a stuffy nose too) but the dr said he didn't see signs of Thrush. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have anxiety I don't sleep well and I have had bad canker sores so haven't been eating much
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Canker sores are not caused by herpes. Canker sores don't develop as Angular Cheilitis. They are different.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome. Take care.