Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

My name is ***** ***** Yes sure, on my penis shaft sometimes

Customer: My name is *****...
Customer: My name is ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes sure, on my penis shaft sometimes my skin peels Also there is a white pimple as well Just one, 1mm in size Doesn't hurt or itch ITs been there for a while
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dermatology Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can send a picture if it will help
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/16/2015
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist

Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will do my best to provide a useful input.

Kindly upload a picture and I will take a look.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nice to meet you.Picture uploaded

Thank you for the photograph. How long has this bump been there?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Around a few months actuallyI had two more in the groin area that looked the same but those are gone. Went away on their own

Thank you for the information. Your bump appears to be something known as Molluscum Contagiosum.

Molluscum Contagiosum is an infectious skin condition caused by a virus (Pox Virus) and spreads by skin to skin contact. The mode of transmission is usually sexual when these bumps occur on the genital area but they can occur there even otherwise.

The simplest way to deal with the bump would be to leave it alone if a patient is sexually inactive since these bumps disappear on their own in 6-12 months. However since during this time the bump can spread to a partner or to surrounding unaffected skin it is best to have your lesion removed by either radiofrequency, laser ablation, cryotherapy or needle extirpation followed by TCA application. Imiquimod cream also works well and is non invasive unlike the procedures I just listed. Your doctor can prescribe it for you.

If you cannot see a doctor then there are some over the counter treatments that like Zymaderm, Molluscum Rx, and Poxiderm that work. These are liquid formulations that need to be applied twice a day on the bump and allowed to dry and then left on. Benefit can take 6-12 weeks but the success rate is quite good.

NOTE: The virus can spread by auto-inoculation. That is by scratching existing lesions with the fingers. So if you're not having the bump removed, do not touch the it unnecessarily.

As for the dryness - this looks like normal penile dryness. Just use a moisturizing cream like Cetaphil once after your morning bath on the area and you should be fine.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you doctor. That was very helpful. Just one more question. The counter treatments you mentioned are available over the counter at a Pharmacy?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is it considered an STD?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry I misread the 'over the counter part'. My mistake
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I understand how it can spread on other areas and from one person to the next. But how does one originally get the virus? ... and is it an indication that I have had sexual contact with a person that has HIV or another serious STD?

Sorry was tied up with a patient. The virus originally spreads from a person who has the problem. It can be spread by direct skin to skin contact with the person (as in during sex) or form infected fingers (as in you touch someone's hand who has the problem and then touch your genitalia transferring infection) - so it may or may not be an STD depending on the mode of transmission. It has nothing to do with HIV.

Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank again Dr. Nair. Much appreciated.

You're most welcome! All the best & regards :)

Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist