Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I'm currently traveling and have already seen a PCP in the

Customer Question

I'm currently traveling and have already seen a PCP in the current area I reside. The PCP gave me a diagnosis, but I would like to get a second opinion before visiting back home to go to a specialist (as this probably won't be able to happen until after the Holidays. Obviously not going to disclose the PCP's diagnosis as I don't want the 2nd opinion to be swayed.)
---
A little less than 3 years ago I noticed a small spot of hair missing on the right-side frontal region of my head. It was so small it was barely noticeable. After having found this, I then took a set of clippers to my head and trimmed my hair all the way down to the skin to see what was going on. It looked like a scratch mark. I figured it was possible that maybe I had gotten scratched and not realized it, or just done it myself, and didn't think anything of it.
---
1 and half years ago I went on vacation and for the first time in my life I had gotten sun burn on my scalp. I frequent the beach and sun a lot, so this was a major surprise. When I took a picture I noticed that the top center of my head looked like the hair was thinning. Didn't know what to make of it, around 27 years of age I figured it was just a part of getting older.
---
Fast forward to the past 3 months and my hair has gotten getting incredibly thin. Also ridiculous I would say to think it's not something more serious. Could it be from aging? Sure, I haven't ruled this out, but I'm highly skeptical when I take into account that I'm under 30 years of age and all the men in both sides of my family have had full heads of hair until their 70s.
---
Fast forward to about a month ago I believe I had the Shingles. When the I went to the doctor, she almost thought for sure that's what it was and gave me medication which I took for a month. There was no actual test done on this. She was a PCP, gave it look, and said `yep, I think that's it`. Every picture on the internet I could find of shingles looked nothing like what I had. I had a small almost circular patch on the lower left side of my back. Was it painful? Not really. If I pressed hard on it, it felt like a soft baby pinch, nothing like what I've read about. I've attached pictures of this. Along with this patch I had a swollen lymph node on the right side area above my groin (where one's leg meets the scrotum.) Keep this in mind when coming to your conclusion.
---
Fast forward to last week. I almost have a complete bald spot right side of my head. The left side has gotten incredible thing, small bald thing eraser spots in the middle of the front, and the center area of my head (birds nest) looks like it's thinning.
---
I travel a lot up and down the eastern sea border of the United States and Puerto Rico. This has been the case for the past 2 years of my life. The past 3 years I've been moving just as much but minus the flying. I probably took at least half a dozen plane rides last year, and took at least a dozen this year.
---
Questions:
1. What do you think this is?
2. Will the hair on the front of my head grow back? If not, what options do I have.
3. If the hair will grown back, how long should it take?
4. What is the remedy?
5. How can this be prevented from happening again?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.