Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

I'm a 19 years old guy, rarely have suffered from acne, and

Customer Question
Hi, I'm a 19 years...
Hi, I'm a 19 years old guy, rarely have suffered from acne, and when a pimple shows up, it usually goes away after a few days. I have a little pimple in my neck that has been there for a while. It hasn't increased in size. Sometimes it itches (rarely). It is round like a pimple, like 2 mm or 3 mm in size. It is pink-red and sometime I feel the need to get an extra catch of breath but maybe that's my paranoia, although I've read that maybe this might be causing that sensation. I feel I have nothing to worry about and might even be an ingrown hair or a benign cyst, but I'd like to see what you think.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dermatology
Here are two images. As you can see, it isn't very big. So I think there's nothing to worry about. But I'd still like an to hear a doctor's opinion.
12/3/2015
Dermatologist: Dr Josh, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

I understand your problem. I have seen images. Thanks for sharing it.

It sounds to be related with Folliculitis. It arise from Hair follicles and sebaceous (sweat) glands and occur due to the fact that hair follicles become infected, often with Staphylococcus aureus.

No need to get panic. It is not related with any serious issue.

To treat this condition, You can apply a warm, moist washcloth or compress to the affected area 4-5 times a day to relieve discomfort and help the area drain.

You can use over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream to affected area.
You can take Tylenol for associated pain and inflammation, it can be taken twice a day.
You should gently wash the infected skin twice a day with antibacterial soap or apply an over-the-counter antibiotic ointment.
You can use a clean washcloth and towel to dry off each time you wash.
You should not share your towels or washcloths, and launder them in plenty of hot, soapy water after every use.

Usually such symptoms will get resolve in a week by these tips.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business

Dr Josh
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor