Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

My hair is thinning undernieth in the back halfway down my

Customer Question
Hi. Yes. My hair is...
Hi. Yes. My hair is thinning undernieth in the back halfway down my head. On top is still thick but below is gone. Why is this happening and haw can I get my thick beautiful hair back ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dermatology
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/16/2015
Dermatologist: DrRussMd, Internist/homeopath replied 2 years ago
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Internist/homeopath

hello

I am Doctor Thomas, a double board certified doctor in internal medicine and integrative medicine, with advanced training in several other fields. I am a clinician of over 20 years experience. I will give you an initial answer or ask you a question, but be sure to use reply to expert to communicate with me as needed.

If you have any problems keeping in communication with me, get customer service to help. Make sure you are talking to Dr. Thomas for safe, accurate, clinically correct and comprehensive answers.

What you do depends on your diagnosis.

And you apparently do not have a diagnosis.

First you need to see internal medicine.

This can be thyroid disease for exam.

It can be infection of the scalp.

It can be autoimmune disease, specifically alopecia arreta, which requires steroids.

Each treatment is different depending on findings on exam and labs.

This is not a self help situation or home/over the counter treatment.

You seem to be doing this on your own, yet, sudden loss , just as an example, can represent a serious underlying condition.

In addition, if you are male, causes tend to be somewhat different overall than for females, although they can

be the same.

If the internist thinks it is skin related, you then need to see a dermatologist.

I am also glad to look at a picture here.

If this is male baldness creams like minoxidil can help

Sometimes creams are used for female baldness as well.

However, it all starts with an exam and medical history.

Take some time and review this mayo clinic list of causes and treatments

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hair-loss/basics/causes/con-20027666

[Now, please make sure that when you rate, you rate Dr. Thomas. The scale is at the top of my answer.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

DrRussMd
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Internist/homeopath