Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

I have been battling Canadisis system wide for about 8 weeks

Customer Question
Hi, I have been battling...
Hi, I have been battling Canadisis system wide for about 8 weeks and not getting much relief. I am using lotrimin af spray twice a day on my groin area and taking prescription Lamisil 250mg once a day. I am also on a fairly strict diet. Any thoughts?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dermatology
11/16/2015
Dermatologist: khagihara, Medical doctor replied 2 years ago
khagihara
khagihara, Medical doctor

Was the sample from the skin cultured? Did you have skin biopsy? How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Can you attach the photos here? Pain or itch? Any medical problem? Any surgeries? Any other medications? Any family medical history? Does anyone around you have similar problem?

No it wasn't. No I didn't. I'm 6ft tall. I weigh 170 pounds and in pretty good shape but haven't been sleeping much and have been sick a few times this year with colds. No pain but very itchy. No other medical problems or medications. High carbohydrate and sugar diet before this happened. No other family history with this that I'm aware. My wife does not have this happening. Rash was on shaft of penis and tip then disappeared and spread to crease of inner thighs and inner thighs now shaft seems 90% healed though skin on same patch looks a little dry. I'm wondering if I've used too much spray and the infection is over but I've badly dried my skin out and that's why it's still itching without using spray or cream.
This started in my groin when I started treating a toenail for a fungal infection I've had for years

Can you attach the photos here?

That's my inner thigh and the only really visible rash.

The skin looks almost okay. It could be allergic reaction to lotrimin af spray. But it could be Erythrasma (bacteria infection called C. minutissimum). To exclude fungal infection and Erythrasma at first, the skin sample should be examined under the microscope for fungal infection and the skin should be examined with a Wood's lamp for Erythrasma. If it is negative, you should try to use 1% hydrocortisone cream.

Hmm ok. I'll go to my doctor on it. Would neosporine help it?

If it is Erythrasma, topical clarithromycin or erythromycin is effective. But neosprine would not help. In addition, if it is fungal infection, it should be avoided because antibiotics make fungus grow.

dermdoc19
dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist