How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dermdoc19 Your Own Question
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 4069
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
Type Your Dermatology Question Here...
dermdoc19 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I keep getting these big red pimples under my ear jaw line

Customer Question

I keep getting these big red pimples under my ear jaw line area, and neck. It started about a month ago and they keep showing up, and they take a while to shrink. Is this normal, is it a skin problem or something inside?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Can you attach the photos? How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Any other symptoms? Any medical problems? Any surgeries? Any other medications? Any family medical history?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm 5.7. I weigh 174. No medical problems. I have suffered from acne since I was a teenager, runs on my dad's side of family. I just have never got it on my neck like this.
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Did you save the area? Are you using the same shaving razor for about a month?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I never shave. Just trim.
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Acne typically affects those areas of the body that have the largest, hormonally-responsive sebaceous glands, including the face, neck, chest, upper back, and upper arms. Most likely it is acne. Try non-prescription acne products include salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, sulfur, alpha hydroxy acids, and tea tree oil. If the non-prescription products don't work after three months of treatment, you should see your primary care doctor.