How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dermdoc19 Your Own Question
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 4069
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
Type Your Dermatology Question Here...
dermdoc19 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have redness under and around my arm pit + along the side

Customer Question

I have redness under and around my arm pit + along the side of my body. I have had it for several years and am looking for help. It looks like red blotchy skin, I can attach a few pictures to help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.


Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** and being a Skin, Hair and Nail specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.

Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .

Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:

Could you send me a photo of the condition at your convenience?

You can upload the photo on and send me the link

Other method of uploading photo or a file is:

1.Click the paperclip icon

2.Click the Browse icon

3.Click the Browse button

4.Select your file and click Open

5.Click OK

6.Click Insert

7.Click Save Changes on this page

Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.


I am awaiting your response.
I would be happy to assist you .


Dr Pravin

Please do get back to me so I can help you . Thanks .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Attached are two pictures
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.


Have they checked for the bacteria or the fungus before starting you on this ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They have not tested for fungus or bacteria but the doctor felt pretty confident it was a fungus (i have no idea)The redness will temporarily go away with cortizone cream but then come back shortly after
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.


Did they check the area with a special light called UV light ?

They should take a skin swab from the area.

The fact that the redness comes back after the temporary working with cortizone cream it shows that the root of the problem is still there.

Do they scale or shed scales from the area?

Do you tend to sweat a lot?

IS there particular activity that you do where the clothes or sportswear tend to stick on the affected area with sweat?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The doctor did not do a skin test or use any black light.The skin does look scaly and does get dry and come off when rubbed.Yes I do sweat a lot especially on my under armsYes i have clothing that sticks to my body when working out or at work when my under shirts get sweaty
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

This seems to be an Allergic Contact dermatitis .

They should also send the scales for microscopy and culture to rule out infection.

Because it is an Allergic contact dermatitis it is not responding to Econazole.

The clothing dyes also may be causing this .

Please shift to white cotton wear for your gym and use over the counter Claritine 10 mg once at night daily for 10 days and also use Cetaphil Restoraderm lotion on the area once daily at night on the whole area.

The skin swab and skin patch test would need to be done to come to a conclusion and give you an appropriate direction to treatment.