khagihara
khagihara, Medical doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.
20084961

Have these whitehead type thing inside my lips and there's

Customer Question

Have these whitehead type thing inside my lips and there's like a three of them together. Can I upload a picture?
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Those are the pics
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Can you attach better photos here? I can't see well. pain? itch? any medical problem? any medications? When did you notice them? Are you aware of anything which might have triggered it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've noticed them
Prob a year ago. There's no pain or anything. Most of the time I forget it's there only when I touch it with my tongue I notice it. Once in a while it does get itchy and that's most of the time when I start to sneeze or when I sleep with the fan on. I'm not sure if it's cold sore because i thought it cold sores would appear more like blisters and go away after few days. Also I've never had a cold sore before either. I tried to get as close as possible bwith the camera but it really hard to see thru camera. Hopefully these are better?
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

They seem to be Fordyce spots. They are benign tumors of sebaceous gland etiology. You don't need to worry about them. They don't get bigger.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They do go away? What is the cause of their appearance
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

They will not go away. They are variant of sebaceous glands (the glands that normally produce sebum and are usually found within hair follicles). They are not a sexually transmitted disease and they are not infectious.

Fordyce spots are generally harmless and do not require any treatment. Avoid picking or squeezing the spots.

Fordyce spots can be a cause of cosmetic concern for some patients. Electrosurgery and vaporising laser treatment (CO2 laser) have been used successfully to remove the spots. Other reported treatments for Fordyce spots include bichloracetic acid, photodynamic therapy, micro-punch excision surgery and oral isotretinoin.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The occasional itchy feeling is normal?
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

It usually doesn't cause itching. It could be due to inflammation because of licking them too much. If you worry, you should see your doctor and have a biopsy if necessary.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I actually do touch the spots with my tongue a lot. I'm guess that's why
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Take care.